These free and paid tools allow you to;
- track where your websites rank in the search results for important keywords, and
- track those trends versus competing sites and/or
- against your own marketing efforts to better understand the effectiveness of your marketing
Rank Tracker Tools
Free Ranking Checkers
Google Rank Checker Tools
These tools do not use the Google API, especially because Google rendered their API virtually useless
unless you have one of their old keys.
- Free Monitor from Google – downloadable tool from CleverStats which monitors website rankings
- ParaMeter – scrape Google PageRank values in bulk with this downloadable software. Useful for viewing the PageRank profile of a competing site.
- Mapelli.info – calculates the % of your site stuck in the Google supplemental index.
Meta Search Engines
- Myriad Search – shows the search results from all 4 major search engines
- Zippy.co.uk – similar to above, but with more features
Install a Rank Checker on Your Own Site
- This zip file can be unzipped and installed on any web server which is PHP enabled. It includes a basic rank checker, an advanced rank cheker, a multi-keyword rank checker, a multi-domain rank checker, and a few other goodies. As Google updates their search results it may break these files…but fixing them should only take a couple minutes for a freelance PHP programmer.
Paid Rank Checking Tools
Tracking where you already rank does not alert you to potential areas of opportunity that you have not yet focused on, but it is easier to rank for keywords related to words you already rank well for than it is to rank for a whole new basket of keywords.
From the Engines
- Google Webmaster Central – allows you to sign up for Google Sitemaps, shows some crawling errors, and a more complete view of your backlinks. Also shows keywords you rank well for and keywords that send you the most traffic.